Laws passed by the U.S. Congress and state legislatures are increasingly impacting the competitive environment for corporations and business organizations. In this environment, appropriate and timely engagement with key public policy makers to advance or defend your specific business interests is essential.
The professionals at The Potomac Alliance have the experience, credibility, and substantive expertise to design and execute legislative strategies that produce results. The Potomac Alliance professionals provide clients with the following services:
- Developing and coordinating overall legislative strategy, tactics, and advocacy
- Lobbying members of the U.S. Congress and appointed and career officials in the executive branch of the U.S. federal government, as well as their respective staffs
- Monitoring legislative activities, including hearings and markups
- Drafting legislation, legislative history, and congressional hearing testimony
- Preparing witnesses for congressional hearings
- Testifying on behalf of clients before congressional committees
- Organizing and coordinating coalitions or groups with shared interests
- Developing constituent or grassroots support for or against legislative proposals
- Advising clients regarding the status of legislation and anticipated legislative initiatives
- Providing counsel on compliance with the Lobbying Disclosure Act, gift rules, and federal election law matters
In an increasingly complex business environment, it is essential to analyze and quickly respond to the regulatory challenges and opportunities presented by the increased interventionist policies currently being pursued by governmental bodies in the United States, at both the federal and state levels; and within the European Union; the ASEAN region; and China. Regulatory frameworks established in one region are quickly being reviewed and harmonized or duplicated in the other regional trading blocs. Smart companies are engaging early on in the rulemaking process to influence the scope and breadth of regulations impacting their specific business interests.
With operations in Washington, D.C.; Sacramento, California; Austin, Texas; Brussels/Geneva (EU); and Beijing, China, The Potomac Alliance has professionals – on the ground – who are experienced in engaging with the local regulatory authorities. Our professionals will provide clients with the following services:
- Monitoring and tracking all government regulatory activity specific to each clients business interests
- Developing effective strategies to influence the scope of regulatory compliance tests to the advantage of our clients products and services
- Reviewing all congressional oversight of agency rulemaking activity
- Assisting with the analysis and drafting of any regulatory comments filed by the client during the rulemaking process
- Direct advocacy with key regulatory personnel at the government agencies responsible for rulemaking decisions when necessary and prudent
- Advising clients on compliance with new regulatory requirements impacting their business interests
- Lobbying legislators and relevant congressional committees to utilize their oversight authority to engage with relevant regulatory agencies in support of clients interests
- Support to clients in their participation with allied industry trade associations and coalitions on regulatory matters.
Each year the federal government purchases over a half trillion dollars in goods and services through the combined procurement activities of 60 government agencies. Additionally, these executive branch agencies in accordance with their annual budget allocations spend many more times that amount on federal grants, loan guarantees, and cooperative research & development projects. The appropriations and tax-writing committees in Congress provide further federal funding accessible to private-sector businesses through directed spending (i.e., earmarks) or tax credit legislation.
Understanding the specific procurement requirements, procedures, and personnel is critical to businesses interested in successfully selling their products or services to government agencies. The Potomac Alliance has professionals with years of experience working with clients on procurement opportunities, appropriations requests, and efforts to obtain government grants or loan guarantees. Our professionals will help your company:
- Identify procurement and government funding opportunities – including competitive grant programs and discretionary grant opportunities – that match your needs and interests
- Work with your business development and sales staff to support or enhance your existing relationships with targeted government agencies and procurement personnel
- Develop a comprehensive funding strategy and a compelling message for all key decision makers
- Help you navigate the government procurement process: we know where to look, what to look for, who to contact – at what time and in what manner
- Help you develop and submit a first-rate procurement or grant proposal
- Assist you in identifying potential contracting partners or subcontractors
- Serve as your eyes and ears” to provide you with timely and accurate business intelligence, changes in procurement policies, and competitor activities
- Work with congressional appropriators to secure directed funding for your priority projects